Changing your Personal Information

Page Sections:

Address Change

Address changes can be done online. Continuing students must change their address in Student Self-Service.

If you are an international student, you must report the address change to the Office of International Services as soon as possible after making the change online.

Note: If you have served as a student employee, or worked in any capacity for UIC in the past year, you are also advised to complete an address change in NESSIE, the University’s online human resources system.

Diploma Name or Special Characters

You will need to contact the Registration Unit for more details at 312-996-8600.

Official Name or Social Security Number (SSN)

To change your name you must fill out the Change of Demographic form and present legal documentation (such as a marriage license, court order, and/or Social Security Card) and photo ID reflecting your new name to the Office of the Registrar, 1200 West Harrison, Suite 1200, Student Services Building, Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 5:00 pm.

After your name change is completed, be sure to notify your college's administrative office of your name change as well.

Approved Documents

  • If you are a student and have never been employed by the University, present legal documentation (such as a social security card, marriage license, passport, or court order) reflecting your new name or SSN to the Registrar Office.
  • If you are a student and current employee at any University of Illinois location, present your updated social security card as legal documentation reflecting the change to the person responsible for human resources in your employing Unit. In addition, review NESSIE for other places you may need to update your name.

Other Information

Update your mailing address, phone number and emergency contact information in Student Self-Service on the Personal Information Tab.

Preferred First Name

If you would like to use a name that is not your legal first name within the campus community, refer to the Preferred First Name page for more information and instructions.