Scheduling Classes on Grid
Grid Heading link
A new scheduling model will be in effect beginning Fall 2018. The model is a result of recommendations made by the Class Scheduling Committee and approved by the Provost. The new model will be utilized for all course scheduling beginning Fall 2018 and replacing the previous grid policy.
Scheduling Classes on Grid Heading link
Meetings through the Week
- MW courses: at least 20%
- TR courses: no more than 40%
- MWF courses: no more than 40%
Large Room Scheduling
- Scheduling of large lectures will remain on the old grid of MWF/TR courses to ensure maximum usage/efficiency (back-to-back all day, every day)
- Scheduling of large lectures should be spread out across the day, following the ratios established for the new grid as a whole
- Departments offering MWF and TR large lectures should make every effort to distribute classes evenly across those day blocks
- Where classroom scheduling runs into capacity issues, units may be asked to schedule WF lectures with M discussion sections or to re-balance the distribution between MWF/TR lectures.
Growing Capacity at UIC
For in-depth details on the new Fall 2018 classroom scheduling model review the Growing Capacity at UIC report from the Office of the Provost.
The on-grid scheduling pattern for three-credit classes, which require 2 hours and 30 minutes of class time per week, must be scheduled as follows:
- Monday, Wednesday, and Friday sections of 50-minute blocks. The first class begins at 8 a.m., and subsequent classes begin every hour on the hour thereafter, with a 10-minute interval between classes. Thus, the first class runs from 8:00-8:50 a.m., the second class runs from 9:00-9:50 a.m., and so on throughout the day and evening.
- Tuesday and Thursday sections of 75-minute blocks. The first class begins at 8:00 a.m. with subsequent classes beginning every 90 minutes thereafter, with a 15-minute interval between classes. Thus, the first class runs from 8:00-9:15 a.m., the second class runs from 9:30-10:45 a.m., with subsequent classes beginning at 11:00 a.m., 12:30 p.m., 2:00 p.m., 3:30 p.m., 5:00 p.m., 6:30 p.m., and 8:00 p.m.
- Monday and Wednesday sections of 75-minute blocks. The classes begin at 8:00, 9:30, 3:00, 4:30, 6:00 and 7:30. There is a 15 minute interval between classes.
If there is no on-line alternative for some of the necessary class time, four-credit-hour classes that meet in person four days per week must be scheduled Monday through Thursday, 50 minutes per day (see above for 50-minute block policy). This leaves open more Friday times for discussion sections of other courses.
Foreign language classes that meet in person four days per week must be scheduled Monday through Thursday, 50 minutes per day (see above for 50-minute block policy). This leaves open more Friday times for discussion sections of other courses
All course exams (except for final exams) must be given within the scheduled course meeting times. Final exams are given according to the official separate schedule after the end of classes. The only exception is for officially scheduled combined-section exams.