Auditing a Class
Auditing a Class
Special Enrollment Categories—Visitors/Auditors
Enrolled students, faculty, or staff wishing to attend meetings of a course without earning academic credit may register as auditors at no additional cost.
Persons not affiliated with UIC as enrolled students, faculty, or staff must apply to the university as a nondegree student and pay the applicable tuition and fees in order to audit a course.
Because the courses offered by the University of Illinois at Chicago are intended for students registering for academic credit, attending class as an auditor is privilege granted only when certain requirements and conditions are met.
Courses taken for audit do not apply toward any academic degree and do not count as part of a student’s full-time or part-time course load for purposes of financial aid, loan deferments, athletic eligibility, or fulfillment of the enrollment residence requirement.
The following requirements and conditions apply:
- Attending class as an auditor is permitted on a space-available basis on or after the first day of instruction.
- Audit registration requires the approval of the course instructor and college, and must be completed no later than the last day of late registration.
- Registration for an audited course will appear on the transcript with a grade of AU.
- Students who audit a course do not have the privilege of participating in the course activities in any way.
- The instructor or college may refuse to permit an audit registration in a course.
- Not all courses may be audited. Each college/department may designate courses that do not accept auditors.
- Individual college policies, in some cases, may prohibit a student from enrolling for credit after a course has already been taken on an audit basis.
- A student does not receive academic credit for an audited course and is not eligible to take a proficiency examination based on the content of the audited course.
- A person who is auditing and wishes to take the course for credit must change the registration by the end of the late registration period.
- Degree-seeking students considering the audit option should discuss it with their academic advisors to determine if it is the best choice, or if another grading option, such as credit/no credit, may be more appropriate.
Students planning to audit a course must complete the following procedure:
- The opportunity to audit is allowed for degree-seeking students and UIC faculty and staff. Those outside of UIC must first gain admission as a nondegree student before requesting to audit a class.
- A registration audit request may not be completed until the first day of classes.
- Persons who wish to audit must obtain a Visitor’s Permit form from the Office of the Registrar during the Late Registration/Add-Drop period. They must secure the written approval of the course instructor and the college offering the course, submit the approved Visitor’s Permit to the Office of the Registrar no later than the second Friday of fall and spring semester (please check the Office of the Registrar website for the summer session deadlines). Note that applicable tuition and fees apply for audited course work. If solely taking classes as an auditor, full fees and applicable tuition are applied.
- An audited course will be indicated on a student’s academic record with a grade of AU. Faculty and staff who wish to have a grade of AU reflected on an academic record must be admitted as a student.
Please note: if you are a continuing student at UIC you should not register for any course that you would like to audit.
If you have questions, contact Records at email@example.com or by phone at 312-996-4381.
- Students need to submit a course audit request from their UIC email account to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Audits will not be accepted after the 10th day of the term.
- After registration closes, courses cannot be changed to or from an audit status.
- Audited courses do not count toward degree requirements at UIC.
Current Full-Time Student/Staff/Faculty: Visitor’s Permit
Incoming Graduate Non-Degree Student: Auditor’s Permit
|Registration Services||Calendars||Financial Matters|
|Student Records||Transcripts||Campus Policies|