Using XE Registration
Overview Heading link
Banner XE is a new look and feel for registration processes at UIC. The images and information below provide a step by step process to register for classes. Banner XE allows for greater search capabilities for classes and more streamlined registration. If you have questions, contact Registration Services at email@example.com. If you need additional assistance and would like for a staff member to give you a call back, please let us know what your question is, along with your UIN and a call back number and we will give you a call back.
Search and Register Heading link
Enter CRN Heading link
If you know the CRNs of your courses, go to “Enter CRNs” tab, and type in the CRNs. Click “Add to Summary” and then “Submit”.
Error Messages Heading link
If unsuccessful while trying to add or remove a course(s), error message(s) will appear at the top and status will say “Errors Preventing Registration”. Contact the course department if it is a “Departmental Approval Required” or “Class Restriction” or “College Restriction” error message. If “Linked Course Error” appears, continue reading about linked courses.
Linked Courses Heading link
To properly register for linked courses, follow these stesp:
Linked Courses Instruction 1 Heading link
While on the register for classes page, select “View Linked”. Keep in mind that the first letter under section has to match. Example: “AL1” goes with “AD4”.
Linked Courses Instruction 2 Heading link
Scroll through the options. Click “Add All” and then click “Submit”.
Determining Class Meeting Time and Location Heading link
- On Campus: A course in which students meet in a designated classroom on campus
- Synchronous: An online course in which students use video conferencing technologies (such as Blackboard Collaborate, Zoom etc.) to join class at set meeting times each week. Blackboard may be used for students to participate in online learning activities.
- Asynchronous: An online course where there are no mandatory set meeting times using video conferencing technology. The course might have optional set meeting times, where attendance is encouraged but not required, these will be recorded for students unable to attend. Students use Blackboard to participate in online learning activities each week. Coursework is completed on students’ own time while still meeting deadlines.
https://registrar.uic.edu/registration/policies_procedures.html (under Glossary Of Terms)
Changing Number of Credit Hours Heading link
- From the home page, click the “Schedule and Options” tab.
- Under “Hours”, click the underlined number next to the course.
- Once the text field appears, proceed to change to the approved number of hours.
- Finally, click “Submit” at the bottom right.
Waitlisting Heading link
- There must be waitlist seats available
- You must already meet any course restrictions, such as prerequisites or departmental approval
Waitlisting is only available for select courses.
Waitlisting Instruction 1 Heading link
You will find out if a class has a waitlist after you add a course to your “Summary” and click on the “Submit” button. If the course is full but has waitlist seats available, you will see the above messages.
Waitlisting Instruction 2 Heading link
To attempt to get on this course’s waitlist, you must select “Waitlist” from the dropdown menu under “Action”.
Waitlisting Instruction 3 Heading link
Next, click on the “Submit” button. If you were successful, you will see the Status for the course now show “Waitlist” in green-highlight.
If you are having trouble getting on a waitlist for a course, view the Error Messages section above on this page for further information.
Once a seat opens up for you, you will be notified via email that you have 24 hours to actually register for that seat. You will receive an email like the following:
Dear (Your Name),
An open seat is available for you in (Course Subject and Number), (CRN Number) for the (term you are registering for).
You have from (Date and time this email was sent) through (24 hours later) to claim your reserved seat before it is offered to the next student on the waitlist.
To register for the section listed above, log into my.uic.edu, click on Banner XE Registration and register for the class.
NOTE: If you do not claim your reserved seat within the time frame listed above you can add yourself back to the bottom of the waitlist.
If you have any questions, please contact the department offering the course.
Office of the Registrar
Quick Links Heading link
|Registration Services||Calendars||Financial Matters|
|Student Records||Transcripts||Campus Policies|