Your browser is unsupported

We recommend using the latest version of IE11, Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Policies and Procedures Regarding Graduate Students Leaving for and Returning from Military Service for Departments and Advisors August 12, 2008

 The UIC Faculty Senate has established policies regarding Military withdrawal and reentry after deployment. Students withdrawing for Military service can do so quickly and easily and know the steps required to reenroll at the end of their deployment. Students begin the process of withdrawing from or returning to UIC with the offices described below that have designated staff to work with these students.

Office of the Registrar
Student Services Building Room 1200
1200 West Harrison Street

The Veteran’s Registration Coordinator in  the Office of the Registrar coordinates the formal withdrawal from classes, tuition and fee refunds, health insurance options, coordinates with academic departments on issues of grades and graduation, and activates a students enrollment upon return to the university.  All students withdrawing from or returning to UIC from Military service must meet with the Veteran’s Registration Coordinator. Students should bring their activation orders or other official notification with them to their appointment.

Student Veteran Affairs
Office of the Dean of Students
Student Services Building Suite 3030
1200 W. Harrison
312 996-4857

Student Veteran Affairs, housed in the Office of the Dean of Students, assists veterans receiving educational benefits from the Department of Veterans Affairs. All students receiving benefits at the time of deployment must meet with the Veteran’s Affairs Office Coordinator before deployment. All returning veterans must meet with this office for counseling and assistance in processing applications for VA benefits. 

top of page

Graduate Students Withdrawing from UIC to Enter Military Service

  1. Students are entitled to a full refund of tuition and fees.


  1. If withdrawal for deployment occurs upon completion of the 12th week of the semester, and before the end of the term, the student may ask the instructor(s) for permission to receive an Incomplete (I) or Deferred (DFR) grade(s). An instructor may assign an I or DFR if deemed academically appropriate and feasible. Alternatively, an instructor may assign a letter grade, if requested by the student, if the instructor deems it to be academically justified. Deadlines for incomplete grades under these circumstances may be waived upon the discretion of the instructor and the Graduate College. A student who chooses to withdraw from all courses will not receive Ws. It is the student’s responsibility to present proof of active service status for these actions to occur.

top of page

Leave of Absence for Graduate Students Called to Military Service

Students who must withdraw from the University due to the reasons stated above are given an indefinite leave of absence.

  1. A copy of the orders to report/proof of active service must be attached to the Graduate Petition for Leave of Absence form ( ).
  2. Time spent on leave approved by the department and the Graduate College does not count towards the time to complete the degree.
  3. Students who are on an approved leave of absence will not be covered by the health and personal accident insurance plan until they return to active registration.

top of page

Refund on Withdrawal to Enter Military Service

  1. The refund of tuition and fees for graduate students who receive financial aid from federal and state programs and private foundations will be governed according to the rules and regulations of those organizations.
  2. For students who hold fellowships, the Graduate College will make every effort to restore those awards upon return to UIC.
  3. Assistantships (teaching, research, or graduate) are awarded by colleges, graduate programs, research centers and administrative offices, and graduate students who have assistantships should check with those units about the availability of the assistantships upon return from active Military service.
  4. Graduate students living in University residences will receive a pro rata refund for room and board based on the date of withdrawal.

top of page

Deferred Graduate Degree Program Admission

Students admitted to a graduate and deployed before attending classes must check with their colleges regarding their policies about deferred admission.

top of page


Registration Services
CalendarsFinancial Matters
Student RecordsTranscriptsCampus Policies
Registration FAQ