Changing your Personal Information
Address Change Heading link
Address changes can be done online. Continuing students must change their address in Student Self-Service.
If you are an international student, you must report the address change to the Office of International Services as soon as possible after making the change online.
Note: If you have served as a student employee, or worked in any capacity for UIC in the past year, you are also advised to complete an address change in NESSIE, the University’s online human resources system.
Diploma Name or Special Characters Heading link
The graduate’s name that appears on a UIC diploma must be a legal name. Variations from an official name may be requested by submitting a Diploma Name Request form.
An approved Preferred First Name may be used on a diploma if requested by you on the Diploma Name Request form, otherwise your primary (legal) name shall be used. UIC recognizes that some students may wish to use a Preferred First Name other than their legal name to identify themselves on their diploma. However, please be advised that in some situations your diploma may need to be used as a legal document, and the name appearing on your diploma may need to match other legal documents you possess.
To change a legal first and/or last name on the diploma and the University record, you must submit a Change of Demographic form with supporting legal documents to the Office of the Registrar. Please complete the Diploma Name Request form to modify the way your name appears ONLY on the official diploma for one or more of the following:
- Special capitalization/punctuation/accent marks* or spacing in your legal name which you wish to be included on your official diploma but cannot be accommodate in the Student Self-Service (i.e. Muñoz, René, LeeAnn, etc.).
- Replace your middle name with an initial (i.e. change “Matthew” to “M”).
- Replace your legal first name with your preferred first name. (i.e. “Robert” to “Rob”).
*For technical reasons, some characters may not be available. We will make every effort to accommodate your request, but it may not be possible.
Please submit updates as soon as possible as all changes must done by the last day of the term. Once diplomas are produced you will not be able to make any changes without purchasing another copy and returning back the original.
Official Name or Social Security Number (SSN) Heading link
To change your name you must fill out the Change of Demographic form and present legal documentation (such as a marriage license, court order, and/or Social Security Card) and photo ID reflecting your new name to the Office of the Registrar. Email documents to the Office of the Registrar at email@example.com.
You may also mail your documents to the below address, but please note that there may be a delay in receiving documents and processing your documents if sent via mail.
Mailing address: Office of the Registrar, MC 018 University of Illinois at Chicago Suite 1200 Student Services Building 1200 West Harrison Street Chicago, Illinois 60607-7161
- If you are a student and have never been employed by the University, present legal documentation (such as a social security card, marriage license, passport, or court order) reflecting your new name or SSN to the Registrar Office.
- If you are a student and current employee at any University of Illinois location, present your updated social security card as legal documentation reflecting the change to the person responsible for human resources in your employing Unit. In addition, review NESSIE for other places you may need to update your name.
Official Name or SSN links Heading link
Quick Links Heading link
|Registration Services||Calendars||Financial Matters|
|Student Records||Transcripts||Campus Policies|