Student Petition for Cancellation of Tuition and Fees
Student Petition for Cancellation of Tuition and Fees Heading link
A Student Petition for Cancellation of Tuition and Fees is a petition request for students to have their registration from a previous semester (within TWO CALENDAR YEARs) from the end of the semester in question to be cancelled and tuition and fees refunded after experiencing an unforeseen extenuating circumstance.
A Student Petition for Cancellation of Tuition and Fees are only accepted on the case of unforeseen extenuating circumstances such as: health problems (mental or physical), immediate family emergency, unexpected financial difficulties, US military obligations, or enrolled at another institution for the same term in which you are petitioning. Below are reasons, which is not an exhaustive list, of which are not acceptable for petitioning.
The following are not acceptable reasons for petitioning:
- Failure to verify class schedule
- Failure to attend/participate in class
- Failure to Pay
- GPA protection
- Poor performance in class
- Change of major/program that results in a course no longer being needed
- Failure to abide by withdrawal deadlines
A student requesting a Student Petition for Cancellation of Tuition and Fees must first be withdrawn from their courses before the request for a refund will be reviewed. This can be done by contacting your college office. Speaking with your academic advisor first regarding your circumstances and utilizing them as a resource may help you determine how this process may impact your degree progress, graduation timeline, and academic standing, as well as any resources that may be available to you.
After speaking with your college office and being withdrawn from the term, students must submit the Student Petition for Cancellation of Tuition and Fees form, along with a personal statement and supporting documentation. If you received financial aid or utilized Campus Care, you should contact the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships or Campus Care to determine any potential impact there may be.
- Financial Aid Impact:
- If a petition is granted, students should be aware that their financial aid may be affected and, in some circumstances, students may potentially owe the University and/or the Federal Government money to return funds. It is recommended that the students contact the UIC Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships at firstname.lastname@example.org to clarify their particular circumstances.
- Campus Care Impact:
- If a petition is granted, students should be aware that if they received services on the behalf of Campus Care, the student is responsible for all claims paid on their behalf by Campus Care. It is recommended that the students contact the UIC Campus Care Office at 312-996-4915 to clarify their particular circumstances.
- Continuing Student Status:
- Students who miss two consecutive terms (no standard grades or Ws were received for two consecutive terms), including any approved petitioned terms, or who miss the term for which they were admitted, lose their continuing student status and must reapply in order to continue at the university.
Write a statement outlining in detail why you are petitioning for a cancellation of tuition and fees. The statement should be detailed and include all pertinent information.
Your personal statement should outline:
- The term you are petitioning (ex: Fall 2017).
- How your circumstances affected your academic performance for that specific semester.
- Explain the documents that you are submitting that support your circumstance.
Supporting documentation must accompany the Student Petition for Cancellation of Tuition and Fees. Forms submitted without explanation and supporting documentation WILL NOT be reviewed.
Supporting documentation may include, but not limited to:
- Doctor’s or mental health professional’s statement on letterhead
- Death certificate of immediate family member
- Employment verification
- Enrollment verification
- Other documents verifying extenuating circumstances beyond student control
Note: Hospital or clinic discharge papers without an accompanying letter from the attending doctor, written on the physician’s letterhead, will not be accepted. The Committee reserves the right to verify the validity of supporting documentation.
Complete your Petition
First, you must be withdrawn from the semester in which you are petitioning. Once you have been withdrawn, you may complete the Student Petition for Cancellation of Tuition and Fees form, complete a written statement explaining your extenuating circumstances and provide supporting documentation. You may then submit your completed petition to email@example.com for review.
Your petition is not considered complete and will not be reviewed if you have not been withdrawn from the semester in question and provided the information outlined above.
The deadline to submit a Student Petition for Cancellation of Tuition and Fees form to Registration Services is no longer than TWO CALENDAR YEARS from the end of the semester in question.
- If you are petitioning for the fall 2017 semester, you must submit your petition by the end of fall 2019 in order for it to be reviewed.
**Multiple petitions for the same circumstances will not be considered. Petitions that are approved are done so as a one-time exception. If a petition is approved, future requests for extensions of registration, withdrawal and refund deadlines will not be approved, absent significant exceptional circumstances.
Committee review of your petition
The committee meets monthly and will review petitions for a time frame that is no longer than TWO CALENDAR YEARS from the end of the term in questions and may request any additional information needed for the review.
Staff evaluates the student’s entire record, particularly the student-submitted explanation and supporting documentation, to determine if an exception is warranted.
There is an expectation that the student has a substantive and well-documented reason for the petition. Petitions submitted without appropriate merit or documentation will be denied.
Students should be aware that exceptions to University standard refunding policy are made only in rare circumstances and at the University’s discretion.
All committee decisions are final. There are no appeals and no appeal process for official decisions.
If your petition is approved, your registration will be cancelled and tuition and fees refunded from the requested term.
- Earned grades will be removed and your GPA will reflect the change.
- The final processing may take up to two weeks after you receive notification.
- Please Note:
- If you received financial aid, you are required to return to the university any refunds you received based on a surplus of financial aid.
- You are responsible for all claims paid on your behalf by Campus Care if you utilized Campus Care services for the term in which you are petitioning.
Quick Links Heading link
|Registration Services||Calendars||Financial Matters|
|Student Records||Transcripts||Campus Policies|